Raji Unnikrishnan

Dead body of an Asian worker stuffed into a travel bag was found dumped in a garbage bin early morning yesterday from Naim area. The body of Taher Antaz, 31, was spotted first by a cleaning employee, near Bin Khalaf Mosque inside Manama, who then notified people in the locale and the police.  

The cleaner, overwhelmed by the vile stench, got suspicious and opened the bag to find the body in a folded manner inside the bag.

Security officers from the Crime Detection and Forensic Science General Directorate collected evidences and conducted further examination.
“There are suspicious circumstances behind his death.

The investigation was launched to bring the suspect to justice, ” said the official quoting medical examiner.

Buainain announced that the body on inspection revealed a piece of cloth around its neck.

Death cause is ‘asphyxia due to suffocation’ and an autopsy will be conducted, said the chief who noted that police were assigned to collect evidence from the crime scene.

Authority (LMRA) that helped identify the victim, after anxious three-hours.
“We were requested by the Interior Ministry’s Criminal Investigation Directorate (CID) to assist in the identification of the body and within minutes with the cooperation of SMC officials, we were able to pinpoint that the victim was a Bangladeshi national,“ said an LMRA spokesperson.

Embassy in touch with sponsor Bangladesh Embassy Consular (Labour) Mohidul Mohammed Islam said that they were aware and was noti fied of the incident.
“Mr Antaz hails from Tanjail and his sponsor is in touch with us. We are trying to get to his family and is doing the needful for repatriation, ” said Mr Islam.

Experienced fabricator Mr Antaz was an experienced fabricator, said his employer, who had hired him from a local market seven months ago. He was very professional, gentle and was reliable, he added.

“He was staying with his friends and the incident apparently happened after working hours. The previous night, he finished a safety induction programme with a client and had reached his room by 10pm.” “We were told many stories about his death, but will have to wait until the investigation is over,” he said.

The employer also said that the company will do everything possible for the repatriation and is hoping to collect some funds in the coming days from all his employees in various sister concerns to send to his family.

“He is not married and we do not know anything about his family, ” he added. Sources told DT that the deceased had a row over money with his friends, which led to the death.